Wednesday 16 September 2015

At Home in Cape Dorset

I have been in Cape Dorset for two weeks now, and during this time I have experienced the thrills of starting afresh in a new community, but also the lows of watching the only high school in town burn down.
My view as I walk to work each morning in Cape Dorset.




Everyone is so friendly, and I am enjoying the beautiful arctic char fish and fresh air.  Temperatures are getting cooler each morning. Today is was 2 degrees C when I walked to the college this morning.  There are some vehicles in town-4 wheel drive trucks for work use, mostly - but many people get around by ATV, or on foot.  Everything is walkable.

The sunsets are gorgeous.
Last weekend, the high school burned down, and it has been devastating to the community.  It was a beautiful school recently renovated.  I was at the graduation ceremony the night before the fire and was so impressed with the speeches, decorations and celebratory feeling of the event. It will be a challenge to replace given the difficulty in getting building supplies here.

The high school burning



No comments:

Post a Comment